Ten Tips for New Librarians from ElementaryLibrarian.com
Thank you to WePAC volunteer Nancy McClennahan for sharing this great resource!
Jocelyn is a wonderful school librarian who runs this website, and it’s full of ideas, tips and guidance that full-time school librarians can use. That said, it also has very helpful content for part-time volunteer librarians, too! I recently reached out to Jocelyn to introduce WePAC, and she is excited about the work we do. She works full time but is open to answering questions folks post on her website. What an inspiration!
Check out these tips. I love the “Be a Good Teacher” & “Collaborate and Advocate” sections! Here’s a sneak preview:
4. Set library rules at the beginning of the year and be consistent.
5. Use a seating chart.
6. Consistency is key, but don’t be boring.
7. You don’t always have to be front and center.
Collaborate and Advocate
8. Get to know classroom teachers and offer your assistance.
9. Keep negativity to a minimum.
10. Advocate with actions, not words.